Friday, July 19, 2019

Have You Seen It?

A couple of my grown daughters and I watched Mary Poppins Returns last night. It's on Netflix. The first thing I thought was "this would be awesome on the big screen." I don't get to the movies much, we don't have a local theater. Some folks, in anticipation of the film's release, were adamant that they wouldn't watch it, that you can't improve on perfection. I like Emily Blunt, so I thought I'd give it a go.


 I was enchanted. I loved that it felt like the first Mary Poppins, complete with animation, beautiful music, and surprise cameos. That Michael Banks (Ben Wishaw)  made me cry! I love the ways that they created similar situations that were new but reminiscent of the original. Grown up Jane, who is a champion for the down and out workers in London and Michael who now works for the Fedelity Fiduciary Bank. Michael is one year widowed with three, cutie patootie, children. These new children (Anabel, John, and Georgei) are the beneficiaries of Mary Poppins' magical world. Jack the lamplighter, who used to work for Bert the chimney sweep, is just as engaging and helpful. The lamplighters' dance on the rooftops is wonderful. Mary's cousin Topsy is a great sequel to the I Love to Laugh sequence in the original. I don't want to give anything away if you haven't seen it. It would be well worth your time, especially if you loved Mary Poppins.

Emily Blunt as Mary Poppins? Practically perfect in every way.

Have you seen it? What did you think?

1 comment: