Tuesday, March 8, 2011

The Highest

The Fort Stockton Critique Cafe was born last night.  We had our first meeting with an awesome guest speaker.  Lisa Hannon, who writes for our Pioneer and is the former 1st Vice President of the DFW Writer's group, gave us excellent tips and advice for running our group.  If you are 18 years of age or older and are interested in our critique group, leave me a message here.

We discussed the reasons we wanted to be a part of our group.  Accountability and improvement were some of the motives expressed.  The discussion reminded me of one of the reasons that I write and so I thought I would post a devotional I wrote about  it here:

The Highest


Matthew 5:14a (NIV) You are the light of the world.

The word ‘inspiration’ always makes me take a slow, deep breath. My eyes close and a smile warms my face. The word always reminds me of the reason I became a writer.

I am a great fan of Lucy Maud Montgomery’s Anne of Green Gables series. The third novel, Anne of the Island, finds Anne and her young adult friends facing life’s challenges. Ruby Gillis is a chum who had never given any thought but to her day to day pleasures. Unhappily, Ruby is now dying of consumption. Anne pays her a visit and finds Ruby terrified of death. Ruby’s “soul clung, in blind helplessness, to the only things she knew and loved”. Anne left that meeting a different young woman. I was changed as I read Montgomery’s prose of Anne’s thoughts: “The little things of life, sweet and excellent in their place, must not be the things lived for; the highest must be sought and followed; the life of heaven must be begun here on earth.”

That sentence first inspired me to “the highest” and reinforced my faith. Second, I was consumed with the desire to write in a way that would make people aspire the way I did at that moment. The notion began as a desire and has blossomed over the years into a full blown passion and calling. I will never forget it. Over time I have reread and highlighted many such inspirations in Montgomery’s work as well as many of the Masters and Christian authors.

Keeping that goal in my heart and mind has gotten me over many a writer’s block. I just close my eyes and remember that moment and then ask the Father to help me take my readers to that place of inspiration; the highest.

No comments:

Post a Comment